Friday, May 25, 2007

Happy 30th Birthday Star Wars!


Star Wars turns 30 today. Just another sign that I'm getting older & older. :)

Since I can't be at Celebration IV, here's my own little celebration. My Top 20 Vintage Star Wars Action Figures.

Every vintage figure is special to me. If I didn't have a figure, one of my friends did, so I got to play with them all. I'm sharing the pictures of the packages, as those images trigger more memories as they aren't as common as the loose figures.

Honorable Mention:
Gonk Droid, IG-88, Ree-Yees, Snaggletooth, Ugnaught, Imperial Tie Fighter Pilot, Bossk, Death Star Droid

#20
Walrus Man

Apparently, his name is Ponda Baba, but he'll always be Walrus Man to me.

#19
Jawa (with cape)

I didn't have one of these guys, but Todd Sipala did. Well, he had one, until he lost it in a hole on one of the giant rocks we used to climb on.

#18
R5-D4

Always overshadowed by R2-D2.

#17
Greedo

Han shot first!

#16
AT-AT Driver


#15
Stormtrooper

A classic package.

#14
Bib Fortuna

"Die wanna wanga!"

#13
Han Solo (Hoth Gear)


#12
R2-D2 (with Sensorscope)

I loved the clicking sound his head made when you moved it.

#11
Yoda

The accessories that came with Yoda (the cane & the snake) were fantastic.

#10
Luke Skywalker (X-Wing Pilot)


#9
C3PO (with Removable Limbs)

What? A figure that was actually made to be broken? Sweet.

#8
Admiral Ackbar

Honestly now, who doesn't love Admiral Ackbar??

#7
Darth Vader

Ah, the telescoping lightsaber. Quality stuff!

#6
Biker Scout

I picked up my first Biker Scout, along with the Speeder Bike, while visiting Uncle Sonny in Greenfield, MA.

#5
Luke Skywalker (Bespin Fatigues)

This one is this high for one simple fact. After seeing "The Empire Strikes Back" multiple times, I made this figure anatomically correct. I rubbed off his hand on the cement, wearing it down to a nub.

#4
Imperial Snowtrooper

Just a cool looking figure.

#3
Luke Skywalker (Jedi Knight)

This was one of the first "Return of the Jedi" figures I obtained. I know exactly where it was purchased too. The Groton CVS.

#2
Emperors Royal Guard

Any & all incarnations of this figure are an immediate favorite.

#1
Boba Fett

Was there really any question as to who would be #1?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah... it would be kinda cool if my home page were updated more than once every two weeks. Yeah.

Bryan "Crash" Davis said...

Was poking around your blog and saw this list ... nice!

Wow, does this bring back memories. My first Star Wars action figure (they're NOT dolls, as I told my friends who didn't get it) was the Tatoine edition of Luke Skywalker from "A New Hope". I got it as a gift for my birthday that year. My parents were chagrined because they didn't want me wasting my money on collecting them. Sadly, his head came off eventually and I no longer had the figure.

One other thing ... I got one of the first edition Yoda figures and his snake is orange ... very cool.

Man, I have a ton of SW stuff from my childhood stored in my attic. I need to break out the action figures and take another look at them.

Anonymous said...

I got my first Star Wars figure when I was four - Ben Kenobi. From that point on I was hooked. Favourite figure? - I liked Lando Calrissian. If you get a chance, check out my new blog on vintage Star Wars figures.