Monday, September 15, 2008

Take Me Out To The Ballgame


On a night when the Mets lost another one and their NL East lead shrunk again, I'm here to share the stories of all the Mets games I've seen in person.

Unfortunately, my record while attending Mets games in person is not pretty. This has me feeling a little queasy holding tickets for the final game at Shea Stadium. That could be a pretty important game.

Anywho, on to the games...

Game #1
Sunday, August 4, 1991
Chicago Cubs
Shea Stadium
Cubs 8, Mets 3

My first look at Shea in person. I was thrilled to be there, but not too happy about the outcome.

Here's a shot of Greg Jefferies hitting a home run off of Greg Maddux.



Pretty good pitching matchup of David Cone against Maddux. Too bad Coney got lit up for 6 ERs in 2 IP.

Game #2
Wednesday, June 18, 1997
New York Yankees
Yankee Stadium
Yankees 3, Mets 2 (10)



My first of two trips to Yankee Stadium saw a pretty good game, even though it was another loss.

This was the final game of the first regular season Subway Series. David Cone started this game too, except he was a Yankee by now. He actually flirted with a no-hitter, not giving up his first hit until the 7th inning.

Game #3
Tuesday, August 26, 1997
San Francisco Giants
Shea Stadium
Giants 6, Mets 2


Wow, look at all those people!

Pretty good seats for this game too. I've had some nice seats at Shea in my few visits there.

Pretty uneventful game. One home run (JT Snow) & Rick Reed started this game as well for the Mets. (He also started the game against the Yankees.) At least I saw Barry Bonds play once.

Game #4
Wednesday, May 20, 1998
Cincinnati Reds
Shea Stadium
Reds 8, Mets 6

Another uneventful game, another Mets loss.

Pete Harnisch started for the Reds & Dave Mlicki for the Mets. Home runs from Brian McRae & Carlos Baerga and an appearance from the immortal Mel Rojas. Rick Wilkins was behind the plate for the Mets. Three nights later, that position would be occupied by Mike Piazza.

Game #5
Saturday, June 27, 1998
New York Yankees
Shea Stadium
Yankees 7, Mets 2


I'm not sure who those random people are, but I love the shot of the skyline above the scoreboard. Since that seems to be the one thing the Mets AREN'T selling, here's hoping it will find its way over to Citi Field.

Andy Pettite vs. Bobby L. Jones. A home run by Tino Martinez & my first time seeing Mike Piazza. Oh yeah. Jerry Seinfeld threw out the first pitch. Another loss.

Game #6
Saturday, July 15, 2000
Boston Red Sox
Fenway Park
Red Sox 6, Mets 4

Mike Hampton vs. Ramon Martinez (of course). The Mets rallied for two in the ninth off of El Guapo (a Piazza homer being the highlight), but Derek Lowe (arrrgh) shut the door on the comeback.

The highlight of this game was ex-Met Carl Everett freaking out on umpire Ron Kulpa.

Game #7
Monday, March 31, 2003
Chicago Cubs
Shea Stadium
Cubs 15, Mets 2

Ugh. Very cool to be in Shea for Opening Day. Not cool to be sitting near Tommie Agee's home run landing & freezing. Not cool to see Tom Glavine's auspicious Mets debut. (Not quite as bad as his Mets finale, but pretty close.)

Corey Patterson hit two home runs, the Mets managed 4 hits & the Mets were on their way to a 66 win season.

Game #8
Saturday, August 19, 2006
Colorado Rockies
Shea Stadium
Mets 7, Rockies4

Finally!! A victory!

This was the night the Mets honored the 1986 World Champions. Of course it rained, but at least they won!!

Unfortunately, my camera broke that night. I have the memory card with the pictures on it somewhere, but it's currently missing. Oddly enough, my next camera would break upon my next visit to Shea, a rainout in June of 2008.

David Williams (??) started for the Mets & aside from the '86 throwback jerseys, it was a pretty uneventful game. Oh yeah. THEY WON!!

Game #9
Saturday, July 26, 2008
St. Louis Cardinals
Shea Stadium
Cardinals 10, Mets 8 (14)


This was a wild one. Albert Pujols won it in the 14th, but by this time, I was on the 7 train, hoping to catch the last Metro North train out of Grand Central (we made it).

Game #10
Sunday, July 27, 2008
St. Louis Cardinals
Shea Stadium
Mets 9, Cardinals 1


As you can see, we had much better seats for this game.

Johan Santana started & pitched great. However, the highlight of the game was an amazin' catch by Carlos Beltran.

Video here:
Beltran's Catch

I could watch that over & over.

So, for the record, the Mets are 2-8 when I'm in attendance. However, they've won two of their last three in which I've been there. Lets hope they make it three out of four on September 28.

3 comments:

Bryan "Crash" Davis said...

Excellent anthology of games ... so wanted to see Shea Stadium just to say I'd been there.

Anonymous said...

I have to say this...

I've never been to Shea, won't ever be at Shea and don't shed a tear over it. All those cookie cutter stadiums are the same (Vet, Three Rivers, Riverfront), seen one, seen 'em all.

Well, you know my thoughts on the Mets, too.

That being said, heading to the Stadium tomorrow for my first/last trip there. Pretty cool on that part.

Of course, you never know. If I have a day off on that final homestand of Shea, can find some tickets and someone who wants to go, you never know... :)

Cool deal on you having tickets to the final game though. Wild stuff.

Brian said...

C'mon man, join the ship that ain't sinking. ;)