Friday, March 02, 2007

Driving

So I was on my way to work this morning, driving in the monsoon down Route 2. As usual, I had to deal with my fair share of idiots on the highway. The difference today was that I could identify one of the morons causing the issues.

All members of the Connecticut legislature have special license plates, identifying their position. Hee hee hee.

I was unfortunate enough to be traveling behind the Chief Assistant Majority Leader, Senator Eric D. Coleman and his Chrysler Sebring.

Apparently, you don't need to know the rules of the road to represent the citizens of Bloomfield, Hartford & Windsor. This guy thought that the far left lane was the travel lane, ignoring the right lane, also known as the travel lane. Sure, he would jump over there occasionally, but he would jump right back in the passing lane, clogging up traffic. What made it worse was that the visibility was very limited due to the heavy rain.

On page 49 of the Connecticut DMV Driver Handbook, it clearly states, "Don't block the passing lane. Stay out of the far left lane and yield to the right for any vehicle that wants to pass." Seems fairly simple, but I guess graduating from Columbia precludes you from knowing this.

This wasn't his only faux pas. As he approached the Route 11 exit/split, he was still traveling in the passing lane. In order to make the exit, he cut across three lanes to make the exit just in time. Of course, there weren't any State Troopers sitting there today like they usually do, even though I'm sure they would've let a State Senator off with a warning.

Hopefully Senator Williams can learn the rules of the road soon before inflicting some serious injuries on an innocent driver.

-----

Yes Mike, I'm aware you tagged me. Look for my list of six weird things about me coming soon, along with my list of five others to tag.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Idiot drivers? In Connecticut? Really? :)

Also, can you tell me how to get it so my Google RSS actually reads you and doesn't show me stuff that is like 45 years old when I put you in there?

Argh. And what the heck is tagging?