Monday, October 30, 2006

Trick or Treat

Tomorrow is Halloween. I've always said that once Halloween arrives, it's New Year's before you realize it. The next two months go by so fast.

I love fall and that's probably why I enjoy Halloween so much. I love carving pumpkins, roasting pumpkin seeds, the crisp fall air & the sound of leaves crunching underfoot. Halloween symbolizes so much about fall to me.

Nowadays, the whole dressing up & scoring candy part of the holiday is handled by Miss Payton. This year she is Tinkerbell & yesterday she hit West Farms Mall & hauled a ton of candy.

Today's costumes are a far cry from what I wore growing up. Who can ever forget those flimsy masks, with the sweat building up on the inside & the elastic strap that either snapped or ended up pulling your hair. Those plastic capes that described the character didn't help matters.

Here are a few costumes I wore over the years:

A Cyclon from Battlestar Galactica:



Darth Vader:



Hooded Cobra Commander: (Since this was a homemade job, I only have a photo of what the costume was based on. I took a blue towel, cut holes for eyes & spray painted the Cobra logo on the forehead. Pair that with a blue sweatshirt & voila, Hooded Cobra Commander.)



I've also gone as Bugs Bunny (I think, when I was really young), a bum & a soldier dressed in all camo. I'll need to consult with the parents & photos to help fill in the blanks.

If you want to rediscover your old costumes, check out RetroCrush.com.

-----

I'd like to wish Brian & Linds a happy 1st anniversary!

1 comment:

Brian said...

Thanks as always, pal.

The Cobra Commander deal was sweet, too. Well done.