Thursday, November 15, 2007

Top 20 Songs - 1984


Once again, another tough year to rank.

HONORABLE MENTION: Back Where You Belong: .38 Special, Come Back And Stay: Paul Young, Jump: Van Halen, New Moon On Monday: Duran Duran, I Want A New Drug: Huey Lewis & The News, Here Comes The Rain Again: Eurythmics, Drive: The Cars, Breakin'...There's No Stopping Us: Ollie & Jerry, Loverboy: Billy Ocean, Jungle Love: The Time, The War Song: Culture Club, Desert Moon: Dennis DeYoung

#20
Somebody's Watching Me, Rockwell
"When I'm in the shower I'm afraid to wash my hair
Cause I might open my eyes and find someone standing there
People say I'm crazy, just a little touched
But maybe showers remind me of Psycho too much
That's why..."

#19
Eyes Without A Face, Billy Idol
"Now I close my eyes
And I wonder why
I don't despise
Now all I can do
Is love what was once
So alive and new
But it's gone from your eyes
I'd better realize"

#18
Dancing In The Dark, Bruce Springsteen
"You sit around getting older
there's a joke here somewhere and it's on me
I'll shake this world off my shoulders
come on baby this laugh's on me"

#17
I Can't Drive 55, Sammy Haggar
"One foot on the brake and one on the gas
Well there's too much traffic and I can't pass No
So I try my best illegal move
A big black-and-white come an' touch my groove again"

#16
It's My Life, Talk Talk
"It's my life
Don't you forget
It's my life
It never ends"

#15
Easy Lover, Phillip Bailey & Phil Collins
"And don't try to change her, just leave it, leave it
You're not the only one, ooh seeing is believing
It's the only way
You'll ever know, oh"

#14
Ghostbusters, Ray Parker Jr.
"If you're seeing things running through your head
Who can you call?
Ghostbusters!
An invisible man sleeping in your bed
Oh, who you gonna call?
Ghostbusters!"

#13
Cruel Summer, Bananarama
"It's a cruel, cruel summer
Leaving me here on my own
It's a cruel, cruel summer
Now you're gone"

#12
I Can Dream About You, Dan Hartman
"I don't understand it
I can't keep my mind off loving you
Ooo, now baby, I'm caught up in the magic I see in you
There's one thing to do"

#11
Let's Go Crazy, Prince & The Revolution
"If you don't like the world u're living in
Take a look around u
At least u got friends
I called my old lady 4 a friendly word
She just picked up the phone
Dropped it on the floor
"Ssss ahh, sss ahh!" is all I heard
I'm not gonna let D-elevator bring us down
Oh no, let's go...let's go crazy"

#10
Sunglasses At Night, Corey Hart
"While she's deceiving me, she cuts my security
Has she got control of me
I turn to her and say"

#9
Jam On It, Newcleus
"Said Superman had come to town to see who he could rock
He blew away every crew he faced until he reached our block
His speakers were three stories high with woofers made of steel
And when we boys sit outside, he said "I boom for real"

#8
Boys Of Summer, Don Henley
"Nobody on the road
nobody on the beach.
I feel it in the air: The summer's out of reach.
Empty lake
empty streets
the sun goes down alone.
I'm driving by your house though I know you're not home. "

#7
Infatuation, Rod Stewart
"Caught me down like a killer shark
It's like a railroad running right through my heart
Jekyll and Hyde the way I behave
Feel like I'm running on an empty gauge"

#6
Magic, The Cars
"Twisted under sideways down
I know you're getting twisted
And you can't calm down
I see you under the midnight
Love darts in your eyes
How far can you take it
Till you realize
There's magic in your eyes"

#5
Oh, Sherrie, Steve Perry
"You should've been gone
Knowing how I made you feel
And I should've been gone
After all your words of steel
Oh I must've been a dreamer
And I must've been someone else
And we should've been over"

#4
Dance Hall Days, Wang Chung
"So take your baby by the wrist
And in her mouth an amethyst
And in her eyes two sapphires blue
And you need her and she needs you
And you need her and she needs you"

#3
Missing You, John Waite
"And there's a message that I'm sending out
Like a telegraph to your soul
And if I can't bridge this distance
Stop this heartbreak overload
I ain't missing you at all"

#2
The Reflex, Duran Duran
"I'm on a ride and I want to get off
But they won't slow down the roundabout
I sold the Renoir and the TV set
Don't want to be around when this gets out"

#1
Panama, Van Halen
"Ain't nothin' like it, her shiny machine
Got the feel for the wheel
Kept the moving parts clean
Hot shoe, burnin' down the avenue
Got an on-ramp comin' through my bedroom"

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great call on 38 special. The shocker for me here is Infatuation. keep it coming!

Anonymous said...

Weren't all the other songs from Van Halen's 1984 also from this year? (I'm assuming, being you have Panama as No. 1).

Hell, if that's the fact, I might have put 3-4 songs from that album in this list!