Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Top 20 Songs - 1986



Finally! After many requests (one), here's 1986. (Seriously, I can count the number of regular readers to this blog on one hand and have enough fingers left over to tie my shoes. Oh well.)

This is a fantastic year. I'll probably list the top three years when I finish this, but 1986 should be up there. Lots of tough choices.

HONORABLE MENTION: I Can't Wait: Nu Shooz, Who's Johnny: El Debarge, Human: Human League, The Captain Of Her Heart: Double, Brand New Lover: Dead Or Alive, Tuff Enuff: Fabulous Thunderbirds, Dreamtime: Darryl Hall, Heartbeat: Don Johnson, Word Up: Cameo, Walk Like An Egyptian: Bangles, Invisible Touch: Genesis, Something About You: Level 42

#20
True Blue, Madonna
"I've had other lips
I've sailed a thousand ships
but no matter where i go
you're the one for me
baby this i know cause..."

#19
Rock Me Amadeus, Falco
"Er war Superstar
Er war populär
Er war so exaltiert
Because er hatte Flair
Er war ein Virtuose
War ein Rockidol
Und alles rief:
Come and rock me Amadeus
Amadeus, Amadeus..."

#18
Venus, Bananarama
"Her weapons were her crystal eyes
Making every man a man
Black as the dark night she was
Got what no-one else had
Wa!"

#17
I Didn't Mean To Turn You On, Robert Palmer
"When I took you out
I knew what you were all about
But when I did
I didn't mean to turn you on
Now I bring you home
You tell me the night's not enough for you
I'm sorry, baby
I didn't mean to turn you on"

#16
This Is The Time, Billy Joel
"And so we embrace again
Behind the dunes
This beach is so cold
On winter afternoons
Ah, but holding you close is like holding the summer sun
I'm warm from the memory of days to come"

#15
When The Heart Rules The Mind, GTR
"When the heart rules the mind
One look and love is blind
When you want the dream to last
Take a chance forget the past"

#14
Your Wildest Dreams, Moody Blues
"Once upon a time
Once when you were mine
I remember skies
Mirrored in your eyes
I wonder where you are
I wonder if you
Think about me
Once upon a time
In your wildest dreams"

#13
Your Love, The Outfield
"Josie's on a vacation far away
Come around and talk it over
So many things that I wanna say
You know I like my girls a little bit older
I just wanna use your love tonight
I don't wanna lose your love tonight"

#12
Point Of No Return, Nu Shooz
"No turnin' back
it's much too late
To go back now would be a big mistake.
It's taken me a while to learn
I'm at the point of no return."

#11
Mad About You, Belinda Carlisle
"Something 'bout you
Right here beside me
Touches the touched part of me like I can't believe
Pushing the night into the daytime
Watching the sky's first light
While the city sleeps"

#10
West End Girls, Pet Shop Boys
"Too many shadows, whispering voices
Faces on posters, too many choices
If, when, why, what?
How much have you got?
Have you got it, do you get it, if so, how often?
And which do you choose, a hard or soft option?
(How much do you need?)"

#9
Dreams, Van Halen
"Run, run, run away
like a train runnin' off the track
got the truth bein' left behind
falls between the cracks
standin' on broken dreams
never losin' sight, ah
well just spread your wings"

#8
The Rain, Oran "Juice" Jones
"I gave you silk suits, blue diamonds and gucci handbags.
I gave you things you couldn't even pronounce!
But now I can't give you nothing but advice.
Cause you're still young, yeah, you're young.
And you're gonna find somebody like me one of these days . . .
Until then, you know what you gotta do?
You gotta get on outta here with that alley-cat-coat-wearing,
punch-bucket-shoe-wearing crumbcake I saw you with. Cause you
dismissed!
That's right, Silly rabbit, tricks are made for kids, don't you know
that. You without me is like corn flakes without the milk! This is my
world. You're just a squirrel trying to get a nut! Now get on outta
here. Scat!
Don't touch that coat..."

#7
Danger Zone, Kenny Loggins
"Revvin' up your engine
Listen to her howlin' roar
Metal under tension
Beggin' you to touch and go"

#6
Living On A Prayer, Bon Jovi
"Gina dreams of running away
When she cries in the night
Tommy whispers: Baby it's okay, someday
We've got to hold on to what we've got
'Cause it doesn't make a difference
If we make it or not
We've got each other and that's a lot
For love - we'll give it a shot"

#5
Rumors, Timex Social Club
"I can't go no place without somebody pointin' a finger- I can't show my
face cuz when it comes to rumors I'm a dead ringer- I'll think I'll
write
my congressman and tell him to pass a bill- the next time they catch
somebody started rumors-shoot to kill!--"

#4
Heaven In Your Eyes, Loverboy
"I can tell by the look in your eyes
You've been hurtin
You know i'll never let you down oh, no
And i'll try anything to keep it workin
You gave me time to find out
What my heart was lookin for
And what i'm feelin inside"

#3
Take Me Home Tonight, Eddie Money
"I feel hungry it's a hunger
That tries to keep a man awake at night
Are you the answer I shouldn't wonder
When I can feel you whet my appetite
With all the power you're releasing
It isn't safe to walk the city streets alone
Anticipation's running through me
Let's find the keys and turn the engine on."

#2
Yankee Rose, David Lee Roth
"When she walks
Watch the sparks go flyin'
Firecrackin' on the 4th of July
No sad songs tonight
Somethings in the air
Yeah, the feeling gets you
A real state of independence
So pretty when her rockets fly
Still provin' any night
That her flag's still there"

#1
Walk This Way, Run DMC
"School girl sleezy with a classy kinda sassy
Little skirt's hangin way up her knee,
There was three young ladies in the school gym locker
And I find they were looking a D.
I was a high school loser, never made it with the ladies
Till the boys told me somethin' I missed,
Then my next door neighbor had a daughter had a favor
So I gave her just a little kiss alike this"

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yankee Rose at number two?! Ugh...

Anonymous said...

Loverboy and DLR over Bon Jovi? I mean, seriously? Wow. And, dude, great call with The Outfield and Double with Captain of my Heart. But, El Debarge? wow.

Anonymous said...

Dreams might be my all-time favorite song, or very close.

I also would have liked to have seen Walk Like and Egyptian in the top list! :)

Term Papers said...

Great its is really enjoying song, very nice and superb lyrics, Awesome work, Thanks for share this.